Quote of the Moment

You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Interesting Old Covenant Rule

I am rereading the Bible this year. The last time I did this, I read the New International Version, but this time around I am reading The Message, a newer translation in "modern English," though sometimes the choice of words makes me think the translation team is a bit Mr. Rogers-ish. (I really admired Mr. Rogers. I grew up watching him and cried when he died.) Anyway, today I got to this verse from the last book of the Pentateuch, the book of Deuteronomy, chapter 22, verses 6-8.

When you come across a bird's nest alongside the road, whether in a tree or on the ground, and the mother is sitting on the young or on the eggs, don't take the mother with the young. You may take the babies, but let the mother go so that you will live a good and long life.

I thought that passage was intriguing, sandwiched in among all these lengthy and, to me, rather burdensome, strict and harsh rules concerning sexual conduct, ceremonial uncleanness and how to get rid of it, sacrificial policies (wow - that's a LOT of animals) and a long list of offenses punishable by death. It stood out, and not just because it gives people the right to relieve a mother of her children, but it asserts that she must go free. There's even a reward for doing this. They're talking birds here, and I give my loose interpretation tongue in cheek. I guess I was surprised to find this verse and wonder what the true significance is.

The next verse reads: When you build a new house, make a parapet around your roof to make it safe so that someone doesn't fall off and die and your family become responsible for the death.

We don't have a parapet around our roof, but we bought the house as is.

No comments: