Quote of the Moment

You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New Year

Today I went into my daughters' room to see what all the noise was about. I found that Laura was "renovating" her large, walk-in closet.

"What the heck are you doing in here?" I ask as I see she has all the shelves down and is pounding nails into the inside of the door frame.

"I'm redoing my closet, painting the wall, then putting it all back together," she answers, obviously trying to make me feel okay about whatever it is she is doing.

"Do you ever think of asking before doing these things," I reply hastily. "No one ever gave you permission to -- wow! That's really good," as I turn to the left and finally notice the mural she has painted on the closet wall. It's a painting of a man that she modeled after a photo from a National Geographic magazine. You can see it below. I also notice the inside of the closet door is splashed in all sorts of acrylic colors, dripping down the wood all the way to the floor. I glance quickly at the carpeting, expecting to see a mess, but there's just green carpet, thank God.

"If we ever want to sell the house, I can paint over the door," she adds with more calm-down-mother tones.

The nails, I am told, are for a large, doorway-sized loom she somehow plans to anchor down to the floor. Once this is under way, her younger sister will no longer be able to enter the closet. No matter, that. The artist must make art.

2 comments:

Jimi5150 said...

That's the difference between the young and us adults . . . we have all the questions, they have all the answers. Sometimes I feel a less complicated approach to life is the best way.

Ann said...

I suppose four children makes for a complicated life, whatever simplifications we make. All these kids do add stress to my life, but also color, variety, spice and lots of love. I have to remind myself of that sometimes.