Quote of the Moment

You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, September 14, 2006

You Never Know What You'll Find


I have recently found a new hobby in geocaching (see my stats over to the right). Geocaching is a world-wide activity where someone hides, or caches, something (usually a container to hold a small log book, a pencil and some small trinkets) somewhere. When they are done placing their cache, they use a global positioning device to note their exact latitude and longitude coordinates and these numbers become a big hint as to where the cache is hidden. The cacher then logs his cache onto the geocaching website where other cachers can take down the coordinates and any other cryptic (or not so cryptic) clues given to try to find the treasure.

It is fun, not just to find the container or trade for a small prize or two, but you very often end up hiking in places you might never have visited. The few caches I've sought out in my own home town have already taken me to some very interesting and beautiful spots. Once you find the cache, you log your find onto the website and watch your cache numbers climb.

My dad and I did a cache a couple weeks ago and found something very interesting - not in the cache, but growing next to it. I took a photograph of part of it, before destroying the rest of it. (Not by burning it - shame on you!) And no, I will never tell which cache. Try it yourself and see what you find.

No comments: