Quote of the Moment

You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Friday, September 29, 2006

OCD Pays Off

Today's trip to the local Goodwill was particularly rewarding:
  • Almost new beige Vans in my older son's size - $4.99
  • Michel Muß Mehr Männchen Machen by Astrid Lindgren - $1.59
  • Brand new decorative shower curtain in the perfect colors to complement my newly updated bathroom - $2.99
  • Brand new Eddie Bauer fleece-lined Gore-Tex shell jacket with detachable hood in my size and preferred color - $6.99
  • One glow-in-the-dark plastic skull Halloween candy collecting basket - $.49
  • One wooden elephant piggy bank where you stuff the coins down the trunk and watch them snake into the animal's clear plastic gut - $3.99 (a fellow shopper said she saw the same thing at the zoo for $27.00)
  • One wooden pear-shaped pepper grinder in the most beautiful deep Bartlett green - $1.99
  • Two brand new Sleep Cell, Litron hollowfil, cool-vented 30-degree, three pound sleeping bags with stuff sacks recently dropped off from the local Target store - $9.99 ea.

And the pièce de résistance: One black car-length genuine shearling coat, fully lined with the real stuff - not that synthetic fur that pills as soon as it is exposed to Wisconsin winter - in my size, but generous so that I can fit my handknit sweaters underneath it, not that I'll need them, but just in case - $19.99. I've been searching Goodwill, and other places, for the perfect genuine shearling coat for about 15 years. Today was my day.

Even compulsive gamblers occasionally win, which of course further feeds their frenzy and seals their eventual downfall. I can stop any time I really want to. I just don't want to, yet.

No comments: