Quote of the Moment

You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Sunday, February 07, 2010

Gainesville Graffiti Wall

So I'm on vacation in Florida and I have begged my host to take me to Gainesville so I can see the University of Florida's libraries. After leaving the campus we headed off toward the Natural History Museum, but en route I saw this really long wall covered in graffiti. She left me there and went shopping while I spent about a half an hour or so exploring this display that stretched for several blocks along a busy street. We never did make it to the museum.

The sidewalk is also covered in paint, some of it purposeful and some of it obviously there accidentally. It's pretty either way. I think this wall must be a memorial of some sort, but I'm not sure. There was a plaque on the meridian with four or five names on it, but I don't know what the story is. If anyone knows, please leave a comment.


Love the palm trees (I'm such a northerner) and there I am, actually IN one of my photos!

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Hey this blog is looking very nice. all pics are very beautiful. thanks for good suggestion. keep it up!!!!

manual push lawn mower?

Ann said...

Thanks for looking!

VelociRachael said...

The plaque is from a 1990 shooting, 5 students died. The wall is a grafitti-permitted area. Sometimes you see entire sections with birthday wishes, Art project, holiday motifs, all sorts of stuff. Even more fun is taking a razor blade and scraping off a little bit of paint, you would be amazed how many layers there are

Ann said...

Thank you Rachael for this information! I did see many parts that looked like tributes and birthday wishes. What a stunning memorial.