Quote of the Moment

You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Olaf


Every so often I check out our local Humane Society's website to see if any schnauzers are there. They don't show up very often, which is a good thing, knowing how impulsive I can be. Buddy showed up one day this summer and the rest is history. Anyway, I checked yesterday in a moment of weakness and sure enough, there was a 4-year old male schnoodle, a schnauzer-poodle mix. He looked adorable. Hubby immediately forbade me to bring any more animals home. He's right. I know he's right.

So, what do I do on this dreary, rainy day? You got it. I went and met Olaf. He was surrendered by his family on January 2, the reason given that they did not have the time and energy to devote to him. He needed more exercise than they were able to give him. He is used to children and other dogs. He is listed as housebroken and knowing some basic commands. He demonstrated "sit" nicely for me. His papers said he was "vocal." I have two schnauzers. I know exactly what that means. His papers said he pulls on his leash. I have two schnauzers who do the same thing. His papers said he needs some manners training. Got at least one of those as well (Buddy).

I didn't take our dogs down to meet him, which would have been going just too far, but I bet he'd make a great playmate for Buddy, who has not gotten the romping he so obviously wants out of staid Lexie. I know better than this. It would not be wise to bring home a third dog. Why do I do this to myself? I even called my Dad and asked him if he would consider adopting Olaf. No deal. Dad has a lot more impulse control than I do.

No comments: