Quote of the Moment

You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Monday, July 16, 2007

You've Got a Buddy in Me

I have a link to our local Humane Society which I check pretty regularly, always on the lookout for another mini schnauzer. I've been wanting a second schnauzer for a couple of years now, but they never show up. I checked Friday night, breezing through the photo list of adoptable dogs - no schnauzers as usual. Saturday morning, there was 'Brad', a one-year old male mini schnauzer. I grabbed Lexie and her leash and yelled to my husband that I was running to the Humane Society! A couple of the kids came along as well, which wasn't much help in making a rational decision.

At first the staff couldn't find him and I figured he had already been chosen by someone else. I sat on the bench for a good long while and let the kids go play with the kittens. Getting restless, I wandered into the education room and found a computer with Internet on it. I went to the website again and sure enough, he was still listed. I went back to the reception area and asked again, and this time they looked in the back rooms where they keep dogs who haven't gotten out to the viewing rooms yet. They found him and let me meet him - alone first, then with the kids, and finally with Lexie. All went well and I brought him home.

The kids wanted to name him Wizard, and we tried this for a day, but it didn't seem quite right. Dad wanted to call him Buddy, which I think is boring, but my daughter had a good point when she suggested we let Dad name him with the hopes that he would feel better about me having brought him home. So, his name is Buddy, though I did add Grau for a middle name. Grau means gray in German, both of which he is, of course.

Lexie, our first schnauzer, doesn't seem thrilled with this development. She's not hostile, but she's not exactly friendly either. I already gave him a bath and sort of a haircut, and am taking him to the vet today for a complete check-up. I hesitate to post his photo because he looks pretty rough, but this was before his bath and grooming. Stay tuned for his updated photo after his vet visit, and then his groomed photo after his appointment at Pampered Paws in early August.

No comments: