Quote of the Moment

You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Jury Duty

I was called to be a reserve juror last month. You are assigned four days before which you call in to a recorded phone message and see if they need you. On the morning of my first reserve day, a Monday morning, I was so sick. I had an awful cold and was shivering, coughing and wheezing. I called the emergency number on my juror information sheet and told them I simply could not leave my house. The woman on the phone was very nice and told me I could reschedule, but I would then have to be a regular juror and would be assigned two days of service at the Courthouse. I chose April 25 and 26, so yesterday was my first day of duty.
I took a Freeway Flyer, courtesy of the County, straight down to the Courthouse and checked in around 8:15 am. They had us sit in this room with auditorium style seating, a podium up front and three television screens across the wall. After about a half hour wait, they turned on an orientation video featuring Chief Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Shirley Abrahamson. After this, a woman came in and explained the jury process to us, followed by Clerk of Circuit Court, John Barrett. He looks just like his brother, Tom, our mayor, except slightly less gray and heavier. He mentioned that he was also in charge of sales for the video we had just seen, but that so far no one had purchased one. Laughs all around.
When he was done with his spiel, a voice over a loudspeaker called out about 25 names. These people got up and left the room to be assigned to a jury. A little while later and about 30 more names were called. And again, about two dozen more. Then the voice announced that the movie Hitch (starring Will Smith) would begin on the video screens. That was a fun movie, which I glanced up at every now and then while reading my book on California redwoods. I rued all the knitting I could have gotten done in there, had knitting needles not been considered a possible weapon by Courthouse Security. One jury service worker checked on this restriction for me, but came back to tell me that I couldn't bring the needles into the courthouse. He then pulled out two brand new pencils and offered to sharpen them for my use. I thanked him, but told him I hadn't even brought yarn.
When the movie ended, the voice called out another batch of names, and yet another. They finally got to me, but once out of the room, I understood that our group was just being dismissed for a one-and-a-half hour lunch. It was cold and wet outside, so I visited the Courthouse Cafe in the basement for some mostacholi and garlic bread. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I returned to the waiting room upstairs a little early to regain my aisle seat in the front row of the back section, where I could stretch out my legs if needed. There were two fans in the front of the room, one on the windowsill in front of the open window. I suppose it can get rather warm and ripe in there, with all those people waiting around, but it was a chilly day and I opted to leave my jacket on and stay out of the path of the fans.
Once everyone who wasn't yet on a jury had returned to the room, the voice said that the movie Monster-In-Law would begin playing on the screens. Someone put in the DVD and it ran through a couple of previews, then hit that screen that plays over and over and over unless you direct the cursor to "play" and hit enter. It just sat there, playing the intro about ten times. What gives?
The voice came once more and called out about 30 names. These people got up and left, including another Graf. I scrutinized this Susan as she left, but she bore no resemblance to anyone in my husband's family.
30 seconds later, and 30 more names were called. As I am near the back of the room where the hallway doors are, I can hear these last two groups being let go for the day. I can't wait for them to call my name. A few minutes go by, but no more names are called. There are only 33 of us left in the room. Then the movie begins to play. I don't think this is a good sign. I put down my purse, open my book and settle back into my chair.
Two hours later, the movie ends (stupid movie) and the voice announces that all those remaining with last names beginning with the letters A-L can report out to the lobby. Yes!
To my surprise, we were not only let go for the day, but we were told that our services were no longer needed. We did not have to come back the second day. Our checks in the amount of $19 would arrive in the mail in about three weeks. Thank you for your time. I am so glad I had a good book with me.

No comments: