Quote of the Moment

You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Dawn of Civilization

I woke around 2:30 this morning to use the facilities, and stepping out onto our deck I saw the sky full of stars. This could only mean one thing - no fog! I woke Dean and we scribbled a note to our sleeping children before heading out to Cadillac Mountain to view the sunrise as it first strikes North America. I got lots of nice photos and we were back home before the children even knew we were gone (5:30am). Later in the day we treated ourselves to another ride through Acadia National Park, seeing it through a totally new lens, sans fog.

I did fall into the Atlantic Ocean today, just slipping on some wet rocks but landing rather hard on my left hip, leg and arm. Thankfully my camera was in my right hand and my extra lens was in my right pocket, so they were unharmed. I am bruised. I was also very wet, but we stopped for lunch at a nice restaurant where I hurried into the ladies' room to use their electric hand dryer on my shorts.

This will probably be my last post from Maine as we head towards Lake Placid tomorrow morning. What a week it's been, folks. I still have remnants of the hives, but the glands down my neck seem to be recovering. The bruises will be gone soon and my socks might even dry out before tomorrow. I have taken over 1000 photographs so far, and I'm sure that my memories of our adventures in Maine will only grow fonder with the passing of time.

No comments: