Quote of the Moment

You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

A More Pleasant Way to Die

Did that title get your attention?

My younger daughter had to write a paper on smoking. She asked me to type it for her. In it, she mentioned that cigarettes contained liquor, not licorice, and that liquor was bad for you.

I explained to her what tobacco and nicotine were and she lit up immediately, "Oh, yeah! That's what I meant. Can we change liquor to nicotine?"

I made the changes and then saw that she had written, "Over 100 people have died from smoking." After a trip to Google, we changed that to, "Over four million people die around the world every year as a result of smoking." That figure does not include deaths related to second-hand smoke.

I had two chocolate almond Dove ice cream bars today and one slice of homemade coconut pie. Though not really good for me, that was so much more pleasant than smoking a bunch of cigarettes.

No comments: