Quote of the Moment

You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Oh, deer . . .

After school on Friday we all piled into the van and headed up the coast to Grandma's house in Door County. My husband chose the lakeshore route and drove until Two Rivers, where I took over. Coming up the hill out of Kewaunee, the speed limit sign told me I could push the resume button on the cruise control to get back up to 55 miles per hour. About five seconds later, still gaining speed, two large deer stepped out of the darkness onto the road directly in front of the van. I slammed on the brakes and then WHAM! - we broadsided the second deer. Dean had fallen asleep in the passenger seat, but he awoke as soon as I hit the brakes, just in time to glimpse a large brown eye in front of his face. No one inside the van was hurt.
Laura says she saw the deer fly up in the air and land in the field to our right. I managed to stop about 20 feet after impact and pulled off the road to have a look at the damages. Thankfully there were no other vehicles around. The front end was smashed up pretty nicely and the hood was pushed into a little tent shape. The passenger side headlamp housing was shattered, but the light was still working. No sign of the deer, except for it's fur sticking all over the front of the van. I got back in and we drove the rest of the way to Grandma's house without further incident, though I annoyed more than one driver by going only 40-50 miles per hour at best.
These latest photos were all taken on Saturday during this trip. We didn't find out until about 10 minutes into our 3.5 hour return drive that the radiator had been damaged and we were without heat. It was a very, very cold ride home. We fought over who would get to hold the dog for heat. I won.

No comments: