Quote of the Moment

You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Monday, October 10, 2005

Post Post Post

My husband keeps telling me to post, post, post. I just haven't got the time or the energy these days. I am taking this writing class and all my literary efforts are being forced out in that direction. Someone at the gym today mentioned the Pakistan earthquake and I didn't know what they were referring to. I was so sad to hear about the suffering, then sad that I had missed two days of grieving and praying for those poor Pakistanis. They already had it hard and here I am in one of the most developed nations in the world with way too much news coverage and I hadn't even heard of it!

Actually, I can tell you where I was over the past two days. I found this absolutely wonderful website called whatsthatbug.com. You can identify bugs by looking at the myriads of categories with photos and descriptions. Or, you can send in your own photo, like I just did (my dad's photo) and find out which specific dragonfly you have, for instance. It was a red saddlebags, a relatively rare species, that perched on my parents' sidewalk last week - Tramea onusta. Wow. I spent a good bit of time looking at all the photos of various creepy crawlies, and loved it. Even the centipede section.

I should have been an entymologist. Either that or a neurosurgeon. Something that involves lots of little details. The neurosurgeon probably makes scads more money, but the bug person gets to work outdoors.

2 comments:

dan said...

Also, the bug person can mess up with far fewer and less severe consequences. Yet another advantage.

Ann said...

Yeah! I never thought of that. Another reason why I'm not a brain surgeon. Maybe I would have thought of that, though, with nine years of medical schooling. Aren't bugs nice?