Quote of the Moment

You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Goodbye and Thanks for All the Crickets!

I went outside to clean Trygve's enclosure this morning, removing the fake twigs and leaves and dumping a dozen or so cricket carcasses into the garden. It was such a lovely day, this last day of summer, and I felt it was time to let my mantid go. I carried him (or her, I really don't know) over to a climbing pile of morning glories at the edge of the patio and he walked off onto the leaves. I got my camera, of course, and took a number of parting shots, but eventually got busy mowing the lawn and tidying the garden. I checked back every so often and had to laugh at how far his head would swing around in this wide new world as I approached. Our schnauzer walked past and that triangular head swung around and down. My neighbor came out and over went the head again. What a lovely bug! After finishing the lawn and trimming the edges, I walked back towards the house and past the morning glories, but this last time I failed to find him.

Happy hunting, you odd, lovable bug. I wish you long life and lots to eat!

No comments: